Categories
Drugs

Drug Quote

The opioid overdose epidemic has been significantly increasing due to the lack of funding to treating centers. The inability to find help in order to overcome the withdrawal symptoms and the craving for drug use has lead to an increase in the overdose death rate in the united states.  Cekala (2016)believes ” if I had a place like this to come to when I was struggling with my addiction, it would have taken me much less time to put my life back together. ” (as cited in Woodruff, Paragraph 44). Cekala insists that her inability to overcome her addiction for a drug free life. Cekala noted the lack of treatment centers that provide the necessary medications that help with the withdrawal symptoms. According to Dolan (2017) ” “We don’t have any money to pay for medication-assisted treatment, and we don’t have prescribers to provide treatment.”  ( as cited in Brauer,p.9). The issue of drug overdose hasn’t caught the attention of the government leading to cut in funds leaving many drug users helpless to the control of addiction.

3 replies on “Drug Quote”

Olivia, you have the strongest synthesis sentence here! You just want to be careful of word choice– it should be TREATMENT CENTERS. I’d like you to revisit your second sentence as I think you could combine it with your first sentence to reflect your entire paragraph. You could have also done more to explain Cekala’s report’s relevance to your topic sentence. I think it lies in this fragment you have: Cekala insists that her inability to overcome her addiction for a drug free life (IS BASED ON WHAT?).

Also– your citations are great, but you only need to put para. for paragraph. and p. for page.

Excellent work!
DW

The opioid overdose epidemic in the united states has significantly increased due to the lack of funding to treatment centers leading to an increase in death rates. The inability to find help such as a doctor licensed to prescribe an antidote in order to overcome the withdrawal symptoms and the craving for drug use. Cekala (2016) believes ” if I had a place like this to come to when I was struggling with my addiction, it would have taken me much less time to put my life back together. ” (as cited in Woodruff, Para. 44). Cekala illustrates her inability to overcome her addiction for a drug free life as a result of the low funding for treatment centers that provide necessary reversal medication to overcome addiction and withdrawal symptoms. According to Dolan (2017) ” “We don’t have any money to pay for medication-assisted treatment, and we don’t have prescribers to provide treatment.” ( as cited in Brauer,p. 9). The issue of drug overdose hasn’t caught the attention of the government which lead to cut in funds leaving many drug users helpless to the control of addiction. Dolan states the main issue effecting the increase of drug usage and the significant increase in overdose death rate. Government support is an essential factor in order to reduce the drug usage in the united state by increasing the amount of licensed doctors that are able prescribe reversal medication to drug users.

Sentence by sentence annotations:
The opioid overdose epidemic in the united states has significantly increased due to the lack of funding to treatment centers leading to an increase in death rates.
GREAT COMMON IDEA SENTENCE– DO YOU THINK YOU LAST CLAUSE “LEADING TO AN INCREASE IN DEATH RATES” IS NECESSARY IF YOU HAVE OVERDOSE EPIDEMIC HAS INCREASED IN THE BEGINNING?
The inability to find help such as a doctor licensed to prescribe an antidote in order to overcome the withdrawal symptoms and the craving for drug use.
THIS IS A FRAGMENT BECAUSE YOU HAVE A NOUN PHRASE BUT NO VERB– WHAT ABOUT THE INABILITY TO FIND HELP ?
Cekala (2016) believes ” if I had a place like this to come to when I was struggling with my addiction, it would have taken me much less time to put my life back together. ” (as cited in Woodruff, Para. 44).
GOOD BUT THE BEGINNING OF A QUOTE SHOULD BE CAPITALIZED “If…” ADDITIONALLY, NO PERIOD AFTER THE QUOTE, JUST AFTER THE CITATION.

Cekala illustrates her inability to overcome her addiction for a drug free life as a result of the low funding for treatment centers that provide necessary reversal medication to overcome addiction and withdrawal symptoms.
TRY SPLITTING THIS SENTENCE INTO TWO.

According to Dolan (2017) ” “We don’t have any money to pay for medication-assisted treatment, and we don’t have prescribers to provide treatment.” ( as cited in Brauer,p. 9).
GREAT.
The issue of drug overdose hasn’t caught the attention of the government which lead to cut in funds leaving many drug users helpless to the control of addiction.
YOU WANT TO REVIEW YOUR USE OF THE PREPOSITION -TO- .

Dolan states the main issue effecting the increase of drug usage and the significant increase in overdose death rate. IS WHAT?

Government support is an essential factor in order to reduce the drug usage in the united state by increasing the amount of licensed doctors that are able prescribe reversal medication to drug users.

GREAT WORK OLIVIA!