Categories
summary Uncategorized

TedTalk: 3 ways to speak English

In Jamila Lyiscott’s: 3 ways to speak English she is trying to make a point by stating that she is ” articulate” . She says she is “a tri-lingual orator” because she has different ways of speaking in a classroom, at home, and when she is with friends. It is so important that she is able to speak these three languages because she is able to challenge these stereotypes of her broken down English by proving that she can also speak properly. This goes back to the idea of her being articulate since she is able to be understood in whichever environment she is put in. This is an important thing to Jamila because she stresses being understood so much and she hopes to break through the ignorance of people. So when she says “Yes, I have decided to treat all three of my languages as equals because I’m ‘articulate” she decides to incorporate all three of her languages as they each have their own rules and can each be seen as proper.

1 reply on “TedTalk: 3 ways to speak English”

Hi Katherine! I want you to reconsider your first sentence. It feels like you’re not saying anything that needs proving. Think of the difference between saying “She is trying to make a point about articulation” vs “She is trying to show articulation is not based on what kind of English you speak.” The latter needs support and gives you an opportunity to show your readers examples and support examples with your own analysis.