Categories
summary

Introduction

3 ways to speak English by Jamilia Lyiscott reports why a lady called her “articulate”. Lyiscott offers this example ” So I may not always come before you with excellency of speech but do not judge me by my language and assume that I’m too ignorant to teach ’cause I speak three tongues One for each: home, school and friends”. Lyiscott says that when she speaks “broken” English that doesn’t make her too ignorant to teach but instead it shows that she can speak three tongues; One for home, school and friends. Even when she is being questioned by talking in “broken English” she responds that she can actually speak “broken English” with friends or she can speak proper English in school and also talk in Jamaican-English with others. Lyiscott is saying that she can speak in these tongues, this just shows you how “articulate” she can be in different kinds of situations. It is not just her capabilities of speaking three tongues that makes her “articulate”

1 reply on “Introduction”

Hi Daniel– your main idea sentence tells readers you are interested in explaining WHY someone called Jamila articulate. Your actual summary paragraph though doesn’t give an example of this. Instead you refer to Jamila’s request that she not be judged. Can you revise this so it’s clearer what your main idea is. I think you might’ve rushed the ending as it doesn’t read as complete. Additionally, remember what we said about semicolons and fragments!