Categories
General

Empathy?

I strongly believe empathy and writing have a lot more in common than people give it credit for. To understand empathy you have to think outside the box and be able to explore other perspectives. For example, there are two different types of empathy: cognitive and emotional empathy. We tend to appeal more to the emotional empathy when writing because when someone writes they “connect” with what they are writing and they put a lot of emotion and feelings into what they say. Therefore, I can say that the value of Empathy is important when it comes to being able to connect to other people and it is basically like lending a helping hand. Empathy allows us to be considerate and just basically to feel emotions, it is the empathy we have that prevents us from being cold-hearted and allows us to care about other people. Without it, I can advocate that the world would be wayy different and not in a good way.

1 reply on “Empathy?”

I appreciate your definition of emotional empathy, but I wanted to know more about where writing intersects. Are you saying we write to connect to others and have to use empathy to do that? Could you give an example of how this works?